PLEASE NOTE: These tips are offered as a courtesy. We do hope that they will be of some help. We will update them as we find things we think might be of general help. Please do not write for further help as we are a business and time does not allow us to offer individual assistance. Thank you.
In this section I will try to give a few 'tips' that help me. Of course everyone has their way of setting up a web site, using a web set, etc. So these are JUST tips.
There are so many great places to go on line to get GOOD Html help, etc. They will be written as if everyone who reads them is a 'rookie' just getting started.
If you are not already familiar with how to use a 'search engine' to search the web for what you want try one like Google where you can search for help sites. For example, simply type in HTML help and see all the sites that come up!
BEST TIP OF ALL: Be sure to always backup your files on a separate disk or drive. All your important files and also the copies of the zip files we send to you.
1) WEB SPACE: If you are ordering a set and DO NOT YET HAVE A WEB SITE ... please know that what you are ordering is a page of graphics to put ON TO a webspace. This is NOT the actual web space. You need to find and set up a site at someplace like Yahoo (one of the easiest, in my opinion, to learn with) or any of the MANY other places to have either free space or purchase space (no ads). THEN you can upload the web set you buy to your space. A few times over our 10 years of having a graphics site we have had someone order a set and then found they think they are getting a 'web site' and that it 'goes on the web' without them doing anything.
2) DOMAIN NAMES: If you do not want free space and if you DO WANT to choose your very own name to appear in your web site address (like ours, http://www.moonandbackgraphics.com) then you need to purchase a domain name. That means you are purchasing the right to be the ONLY one using THAT name for however long your contract determines. Again, simply type DOMAIN NAMES in the search engine and see how that comes up! One that many uses is GO DADDY.
3) ZIP PROGRAM: You need a zip program in order to purchase almost everything over the Internet. Perhaps one came with your computer. Like Winzip. If you use a Windows operating system that is what you need in order to open a zipped file (also enables you to zip files!) You can Google the word WINZIP and see all the sites offering it that come up! Most offer a trial version but if you intend to do a lot on the Internet you will eventually want to purchase the program to install permanently on your computer.
4) OUR ZIPPED FILES: when we send you a zipped file it will contain everything you need to produce the page just as you see it when you purchase it.
Then you can add whatever you want, remove any items you don't need, and put the page on your site. You can use the page over and over in as many ways as you wish as many times as you wish.
You just can't 'share it with another' or sell it. You may, of course, purchase sets to give as gifts if you are not going to use it.
Many do this. OPEN THE ZIPPED FILE and you will see a folder containing all the graphics and an index.html page.
If you click on the index page (big blue e) it will open the page up for you on your computer ]... when you do this then go to the top of your browser and click on VIEW and then VIEW SOURCE and you will see the HTML for the page.
5) A HINT: so many have found that the easiest way to set up your file directory (once you have your site you'll know what a file directory is) is to keep each page in it's own folder. These are called subfolders.
Our pages come to you that way. You do not have to keep it in the folder ... BUT you will have to rename the index.html to some other name if you do not keep them in their folders.
BUT ... keeping each page in its folder makes it SO EASY to revise the page, remove the page, etc.
To link to the pages that are in folders you just need to include the name of the folder in the tag line. For example: http://www.moonandbackgraphics.com/awakenings/index.html ... in this example evensong is the name of the folder.
You will see more help on how to do this in your file directory if you are located at Yahoo or some such space that offers help.
6) WEBMASTER: If you want a site but do not have the time or desire to set it up yourself then you will need a webmaster. (someone who sets up and maintains a site for others) Again, use your search engine to find a good one.
WEBMASTER: I have found someone that I feel I can recommend. This lady has been a client for years and a couple years back set up her own webmastering business and is currently taking new clients.
I have nothing to do with her site financially or otherwise other than to be able to recommend you visit her if you need a quality webmaster. Her name is Heaven Lord and her site is http://www.drheaven.com/ Contact her from there to inquire about any needs you may have.
nyc elopement photographer